Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thursday May 19, 1988


My grandfather Isaac (Sasha) Shikman passed away at age 77. He had several heart attacks over the years and wasn't able to bounce back this time. I remember being asleep and waking up to the sound of my brother and parents crying downstairs in the kitchen. It was my first experience with death in my immediate circle of family and close friends. Gabe eventually came up and told me what happened. I actually didn't cry until a few days later.

My grandfather had 1 brother whom he lost on the first day (for Russia)of World War 2. He was short but cut from his youth, when he was a gymnast. My brother Gabe actually has Sasha's exact build. He taught me to play chess. I recall him sneaking off to smoke cigarettes which he was hiding from my granny. When he got mad he would get red in the face. He took me to my first Maple Leafs game. He loved driving his burgundy Pontiac. He was a snazzy dresser - clothes always ironed and perfectly tailored. I remember him walking to the JCC to give me money for lunch. My grandmother never dated another man after he died.

I did end up going to school that day. There were supposed to be track & field team tryouts - but they were postponed. I took the bus home with Gary Don. When I got home Rosa (my mom's cousin from New York), Rudolph (my granny's brother from Philadelphia), his wife Sonya and his son Alex all came and stayed at our place. I slept on the couch.

No comments: